12 Day – Escorted Tour in Central Italy – Umbria, Lazio and Tuscany
- ORVIETO 4 nights
- TUSCIA/TUSCANY MAREMMA 3 nights
- CORTONA 4 nights
- Expert professional tour manager
- High quality accommodations (11 nights accommodation, breakfasts included)
- 8 group dinners
- Unusual locations to visit
- Sightseeing activity entrances
- Local group travel and bus transfers between tour hotels
- A small group experience of 10-15 people
- Arrival in Orvieto. Check in and welcome drink at the hotel.Walking tour of town and visit of the Duomo with its Signorelli’s San Brizio Chapel frescoes. Dinner party together.
- Archeo-trek walking tour of the Undergrounds of Orvieto, the Etruscan Museum and the surrounding countryside Necropolis
- Day trip to Lake Bolsena, visiting the towns of Bolsena (with its Medieval center and Roman catacombs). On the way back, stop in Celleno, a ghost Medieval village lost in time. Group dinner at a local favorite.
- Road trip to Bomarzo, the 16th century monster park built in an Etruscan Sacred Area, where we will admire the unique Etruscan Pyramid. Farmhouse group lunch in the countryside with a visit to an olive oil farm. Return to Orvieto. Free evening and dinner on your own in Orvieto.
- Leave Orvieto. Walking tour of Pitigliano and its incredible “Vie Cave”. Afternoon trip to Sovana, with its charming Medieval square and streets. Arrive and settle into our countryside agriturismo near Pitigliano.
- Day trip southbound to Tuscania and Tarquinia, two of the major Etruscan cities of Southern Etruria. Visit of Tuscania and the stunning frescoed tombs in Tarquinia. Lunch is on your own in Tuscania. Group dinner in Pitigliano.
- Day trip to the Mediterranean Sea! Visit to the Ancient Roman outpost of “Cosa”. Lunch at the sea, then afternoon visit to the ancient city of Vulci and it’s ‘terme’ spa OR stop on the way back to the sulfur waterfalls of Saturnia. Return to our property for dinner.
- Leave Pitigliano. Drive through Valdorcia to Pienza for a walking tour and some free time in the Middle Ages. Visit to a local Pecorino cheese farm, where we will have lunch together. Arrive and settle in Cortona, the town of “Under the Tuscan Sun” as well as a Northern Etruscan city! Group dinner.
- Walking tour of Cortona, followed by a wine lunch tasting at a local winery. Free afternoon and evening in town. Dinner is on your own in Cortona.
- Road trip to and walking tour of Arezzo (Antiques Fair). We will explore the pretty town of the Casentino area, enjoy its crafts and architecture. Free time and lunch on your own in Arezzo. Return to Cortona. Dinner is on your own in Cortona.
- Drive around the Trasimeno Lake with a gelato stop. Walking tour “On Hannibal’s Trails”, focusing on the epic battle between Carthagenian Army and Roman Legions. Stop in Tuoro, at Campo del Sole, the battle venue. Lunch is on your own at the lake. Group dinner in Cortona.
- Tour over after breakfast.
We’ll help you make arrangements for post-tour transportation
Airport transportation to and from tour hotels
Tour hotels and itinerary details subject to change.
Tour departure contingent on travel restrictions.